|Unit 6: Business Decision Making|
|Maldives Business School||Cover Page|
|ASSIGNMENT BRIEF |
BTEC HND/Associate Degree in Business (Management/HR/Marketing)
|The student must fill the relevant parts of the following table.|
|Student First Name||Student Last Name||Student ID||Task No.||Date submitted||Date issued|
|31st May 2015|
Statement of authenticity
I, the above named student, hereby confirm that this assignment is my own work and not copied or plagiarized. It has not previously been submitted as part of any assessment. All the sources, from which information has been obtained for this assignment, have been referenced in the Harvard format. I further confirm that I have read and understood the Maldives Business Schoolrules and regulations about plagiarism and copying and agree to be bound by them.
Assignment summary information
|Unit||Unit 6: Business Decision Making||Assignment reference||1|
|Assignment type||This is an individual assignment.|
|Task||Submit on||Do on|
|Task 1: Report:LO1,LO2,LO3, LO4, M1,M2,M3,D2,D3||11th July 2015||NA|
|Task 2: Presentation: LO3,LO4, D1||23rd July 2015||25th July 2015|
|Extensions||An extension must be applied for in writing by individual students and will only be granted for valid reasons.|
|Late submissions||Late submissions will be marked for all grades but will incur a fine of MVR 500.|
|Assessor(s):||Mr. Sandeep Singh Sikerwar||Internal verifier:||Prof. Aniruddha Ghosh|
Assessor(s) please fill the table below AFTER the evaluation.
|Assessment criteria||Feedback||Assessor’s Decision||IV Comments|
This is the cover page for your assignments. Your assignment will be rejected if it does not have this cover page. Read the document titled “Additional Guidance on Assignments” for help on report the general report format, general presentation format and referencing.
Unit outcomes, assessment criteria and evidence requirements
Unit outcomes are given below. Assessment criteria and evidence requirements are given below each task.
|Learning Outcome LO 1:||Use a variety of sources for the collection of data, both primary and secondary|
|Learning Outcome LO 2:||Apply a range of techniques to analyze data effectively for business purposes|
|Learning Outcome LO 3:||Produce information in appropriate formats for decision making in an organizational context|
|Learning Outcome LO4:||Use software-generated information to make decisions at operational, tactical and strategic levels in an organization.|
|Merit grades awarded||M1||T1||M2||T1||M3||T1|
|Distinction grades awarded||D1||T2||D2||T1||D3||T1|
Expected sources: You must read at least two of these sources and evidence of your reading must appear in your assignment as in-text citations.
- BPP Learning Media. 2010. Business essentials: business decision making. London: BPP Learning Media.
- Bursk, E.C. (Ed.) 1963. New decision-making tools for managers: mathematical programing as an aid in the solving of business problems. [Online] Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press. Available through: <http://www.questiaschool.com/read/6220220/new-decision-making-tools-for-managers-mathematical>[Accessed: 12 October 2014].
- Kothari, C.R., 2004. Research methodology: Methods and techniques. [Online] New Delhi: New Age Publications.
- Kumar, R., 2011. Research Methodology: A step-by-step guide for beginners. [Online] New Delhi: Sage Publications.
- Saunders, M., Lewis, P. & Thornhill, A, 2009. Research for Business Students. [Online] London: Pearson Education Limited.
Revlon is a world renowned brand in cosmetic products started in 1932 based in United States of America. The company is been doing business successfully all over the world for last 80 years. The company run’s some of the successful brand in cosmetic market all over the world like Revlon, Almay, SinfulColors and Pure Ice in cosmetics; RevlonColorSilk in women’s hair color; Revlon in beauty tools; and Mitchum in anti-perspirant deodorants.
Recently Revlon decided to expand their business in Asia especially in Maldives looking at the recent high demand for the cosmetic products in the country. At present, there is a dearth of quality brands in market.
You have been appointed as a senior marketing manager and have been given the task to prepare the feasibility report for finding out the business opportunity in the country. Youwill be required to examine a variety of sources and develop techniques in relation to fouraspects of information: data gathering, data storage, and the tools available to create and presentuseful information. You will use spreadsheets and other software for data analysis and thepreparation of information.
Task 1: Report
Prepare a report titled “Business feasibility report for the selected organization (name of the organization/s) in Malé”.Your report should not be more than 3,500words. It must be unified and coherent.
- Create a plan for the collection of primary and secondary data for a given business problem. (P1.1)
A plan has been prepared to for the collection of primary and secondary data including:
- Primary sources: survey methods, questionnaire method, sample frame, sampling methods.
- Secondary sources: library research, internet search, government and other published data.
- This plan should be also submitted along with the report and get approved by your faculty*.
- Present the survey methodology and sampling frame used (P1.2).
- The survey methodology for the research has been presented.
- The sampling frame for the research has been presented.
- Select/design and applyappropriate methods/techniques. For P1.2:(M2)
- A range of methods and techniques have been applied.
- The selection of methods and techniques has been justified.
- Design a questionnaire for a given business problem (P1.3).
- A questionnaire has been designed for the business problem.
- Questions have been framed to solicit answers that will help to achieve the research objectives.
- The questionnaires have been filled by suitable respondents.
- Create information for decision making by summarizing data using representative values (P2.1)
- Data from research has been tabulated.
- Data has been summarized using representative values such as the mean.
- Information for decision making has been created using the summarized data.
- Analyze the results to draw valid conclusions in a business context.(P2.2)
- Results from the survey have been analyzed.
- Significance of the survey results have been stated for efficient decision making.
- Analyze data using measures of dispersion to inform a given business scenario.(P2.3)
Data has been analyzed to inform own business project by using:
- Mean, median & mode
- Range, quartile, Standard deviation and co-efficient of variation.
- Present and communicate appropriate findings. (M3)
- The appropriate structure and approach has been used.
- A range of methods of presentation have been used and technical language has been accurately used.
- Explain how quartiles, percentiles and the correlation coefficient are used to draw useful conclusions in a business context (P2.4)
- Use of quartiles, percentiles and the correlation coefficient in the project has been presented.
- Significance of the results for the decision making in the business context has been given
- Identify and apply strategies to find appropriate solutions. (M1)
Appropriate interpretation and significance of the calculated values in P2.4 for the business decisions along with appropriate suggestions have been provided.
- Produce graphs using spreadsheets and draw valid conclusions based on the information derived.(P3.1)
- Following graphs have been prepared using spreadsheets.
- Pie Chart
- Bar chart
- Line chart
- Scatter chart
- Valid conclusions have been drawn using these charts.
- Create trend lines in spreadsheet graphs to assist in forecasting for specified business information. (P3.2)
- Trend lines have been created using the trend equation.
- Forecasting have been done for own business project on the basis of trend line.
- Produce a formal business report.(P3.4)
- A formal report has been written in appropriate format.
- All the findings and analysis have been appropriately reported.
- Use appropriate information processing tools.(P 4.1)
Appropriate information processing tools have been used in developing your report.
- Take responsibility for managing and organizing activities.(D2)
- Collection of data has been done effectively and on time.
- The activities required for collection of data have been planned and done on time.
- Demonstrate convergent/lateral/creative thinking. (D3)
- Innovative and creative thoughts have been applied in writing and presentation of the formal report.
- Interpretation of the findings for business decision making process have been provided.
(This provides evidence for Learning outcome LO1 – assessment criteria P1.1, P1.2, P1.3; Learning outcome LO2 – assessment criteria P2.1, P2.2;Learning outcome LO3 – assessment criteria P3.1., P3.2. ; Learning outcome LO4 – assessment criteria P4.1, with Merit criterion M1, M2, M3 and Distinction criteriaD2 & D3.)
Task 2: Presentation
Revlon has thought of to expand its business over the next 5 years. The company is considering two mutually exclusive options to start-up its operations in Maldives. Both the options have initial cash outlays of $ 100,000 each. The company expected to pay tax @ 50% and the maximum required rate (discount factor) of the company has given as 10%. The company considers to apply straight line method of depreciation on the options. The expected cash flow from the both the options are given below in the table:
|Year||Option A ($)||Option B ($)|
Use the above given information to do the calculation for P4.3 and prepare a PowerPoint presentation titled “Business feasibility for the selected organization (name of the organization) in Malé”.
You must prepare cue cards to accompany your presentation. Your presentation and cue cards must not exceed 1,000 words. Your presentation should not be more than 15 slides and 15 minutes.Follow the presentation format given in the document titled “Additional Guidance on Assignments”.
- Prepare a business presentation using suitable software and techniques to disseminate information effectively. (P3.3)
A business presentation has been prepared using Microsoft PowerPoint.
- Prepare a project plan for an activity and determine the critical path. (P4.2)
- A project plan with the help ofa Gantt chart or a Waterfall chart has been prepared for the proposed business activity.
- The critical path for the business activity has been determined.
- Use financial tools for decision making.(P4.3)
Use of the following financial tools for decision making with proper analysis have been provided:
- Net present value
- Discounted cash flow
- Internal rates of return
- Use critical reflection to evaluate own work and justify valid conclusions.(D1)
Realistic improvements have been suggested after appropriate analysis of financial tools.
(This provides evidence for learning outcome LO3 – assessment criteria P3.3; LO4- assessment criteria P4.2 and P4.3 with Distinction criterion D1)
end of your presentation ed: (iName your files as shown below before you submit them:
- The report must be submitted as a PDF file named “Unit6_BDM_June2015_Task1_Report_ FirstnameLastname_StudentID, where FirstLastName should be replaced with your first name and last name and StudentID should be replaced with your student ID.
- The presentation and cue card should be submitted as a PPT file named “Unit6_BDM_June2015_Task2_PPT_FirstnameLastname_StudentID,” where FirstnameLastname should be replaced with your first name and last nameand StudentID with your student ID. Add your cue cards as slides to the end of your presentation.
- Do not submit the first draft of your report. The report you submit must be at least the second edited version. Do the final editing: proof read for logical errors, spelling and grammar.
- Remember to upload all the files before you click the submit button.