Unit 45 Business Psychology-Btechnd
This task will discuss on the role of psychology in assessment of the differences that exist in various individuals at Swan Coopers. It will even give an insight on the amount of changes that will be handled and associated with the changing culture in Swan Coopers.
Understand the role of psychology in the assessment of individual differences in the workplace.
a) Describe two kinds of assessable individual differences and explain how these might be used in choosing workers for the new teams at Swan-Cooper.
The two major kinds of the assessable individual differences that exist among the individuals will be in their culture and their demography. The workforce working with Swan Coopers till date had been living in the paternalistic leadership culture that was formed by its earlier management. The difference will now come as the American Organization would be looking for the individuals who are open, transparent and believe in the competitive approach. The people who do not want to adjust to this new culture will not be useful for new management and even the people who have come from the demography in terms of the competitive approach will be of use for sustaining in the Swan Coopers. Swan Coopers new management will only opt for the people who are adaptable and even can follow any kind of culture and can fight competition to rise ahead in their professional careers and lives (Davis et al, 1997).
b) Suggest two types of psychometric instruments that might be used in this situation and make an assessment of the likely usefulness of each of them with reference to their reliability and validity.
The new management in Swan Coopers has to determine the people of the personality types who can adjust and accommodate in the new structure and the culture of the company. The following two types of Psychometric Instruments could easily be used by them to assess the personality types of the workforce working for the company:
- MBTI – This refers to Myers Briggs Type Indicator. This is the test that identifies the personality of an individual on the basis of four major parameters and dimensions:
- Extroversion/Introversion – This is the variable that will test whether an individual likes to be surrounded with people or desires to be alone. This will help in finding out whether the person can work in a team or not.
- Sense/Intuition – This is the parameter that will test whether the individual can sense and take up the risks and handle them properly.
- Thinking/Feeling – This is the approach that will find out the perception, thinking and the feelings of an individual as it will determine how he will react and respond to the change in the culture of Swan Coopers.
- Judging/Perceiving – This will let the company know on the level of perception and the judgement that the individual is having and how well he can compete for the leadership and competition in the company.
- CTPI-100 – This is the psychometric test that will help in identifying the individuals for the executive and managerial positions. This test will find out the competencies with respect to the behaviour and traits of the personality of the workforce that has been working in the company. This test is most useful for Swan Coopers as it has to make the right decision as per the new culture on the appointment, recruitment and retention of the workforce within the company at various levels in the company (Crain, 1992).
c) Choose any two types of measures of individual difference and make justified recommendations for how these might be used in making decisions regarding the size and composition of the new teams at Swan Cooper.
The two types of measures with respect to the individual differences are:
- Motivational Measures – These are the measures that will determine the internal drive that the workforce possesses in order to handle the various situations and the circumstances.
- Risk Handling Ability and Attitude measures – This measure will help in determining the risks ability and capacity for the various individuals. This will help in determining the individuals who could easily take up the risks and face the adverse situations and handle them.
Both these measures could easily be used to determine and find out who are the people who will adjust to the new culture that the new management is going develop within Swan Coopers. The people who can take up risks and have the internal drive to change and its adjustment will surely be able to change themselves and adjust within the organization and help it to progress further.
In this task a detailed discussion would be carried out on the impact of change that is experience on the business. This will give an insight of the reaction of the workforce to the change that would be explained with Kubler-Ross Model. The 8 step Kotter’s change model will also be discussed under this head.
Be able to apply knowledge of impact of change in Business.
a) Explain the workforce’s reaction to the changes taking place at Swan Cooper
As per Kubler-Ross Model of Change, there are basically 5 stages of the changes that the individuals so express: Denial to change, anger or frustration, bargaining for change, depression of the people and finally acceptance to it. Swan Coopers has a paternalistic kind of structure or the leadership environment that used to exist within the organization. They were given instructions and guidance on how the work has to be carried out. On the other hand now the culture would taking own initiatives, empowerment and acting on the decisions made and be responsible for them. Initially when the new management will meet up the people, they will dictate on the new policies, procedures and the action plan for taking the organization forward. The people who are adaptable will surely resist and show anger but slowly and gradually adjust within the new culture (Scherer & Wertheimer, 1964). On the other hand the people who are non-adaptable will not be able to adjust to the changed circumstances. It is usually said that in the five stages of the Ross Model, people do adjust but there are few who cross these five stages easily whereas others may take longer to cross them. Rest are few who cannot adjust and company has to take up some measures to retrench them as they will make the culture spoiled by their useless discussions.
The specific reasons for the resistance of the people are:
- They have to now come out of their comfort zones and work for showing the performance
- They have to prove their potential and perform well in order to be sustained and survive within the company.
The changes in the reaction of the people with respect to the changes in the company would be slow and gradual by step by step arrangement as shown in the diagram.
b) Using John Kotter’s 8-Step process of change explain exactly how you will implement the changes that are planned for Swan Cooper.
Kotter’s has given 8 major steps that could be followed in order to bring about changes within the Swan Coopers. These 8 steps have been shown in the above diagram:
- Increasing the Urgency – This is the step in which Swan Coopers has to assess the environment, resources, manpower and other aspects so that suitable planning could be made or done in this regard.
- Building of the teams – It has to develop teams for various activities so that they could be assigned roles and responsibilities for implementing the changes.
- Developing the Vision – They have to develop and plan the Vision that has to be achieved in the time to come so that they may concentrate on work accordingly.
- Effective Communication – This vision and planning has to be effectively communicated to the people working for the company so that they align their personal goals with their professional ones (Miller, 2010).
- Enabling the change – This is the stage in which implementation and enforcement of the change process will be done.
- Creating the wins for shorter targets and term – The vision and objectives will divide the entire process into short term goals and thereby achieving the short term wins.
- Making it up – It will determine the processes that are not working up to mark and have to be improved and changed.
- Enforcing and Sticking to it – This is the last stage in which the sticking and enforcing of the correct process to the change implementation has to be done for the change process.
This 8 step process is being followed for almost all kinds of changes that are brought about at a bigger level. This model when would be adopted by Swan Coopers will result in solving the problem and thereby resulting in the changed culture within the company.
c) Explain and justify exactly what you will do to achieve attitude change in each of those three groups.
These three groups will be counselled and explained in the ways described below:
- The women workers who will lose their supportive benefits – They will be counselled by stating that in case they would work hard within the organization then they surely would be given much better benefits and facilities than they had been getting till date. They may be encouraged and given opportunities to develop and grow them well. They will be given secured and safe environment to work in (Gigerenzer, 1991).
- The managers who have worked at Swan Coopers for many years – They will be judged and analysed on their personality types in order to find out how their will behave and what is their potential. They will be asked to perform and on the basis of their performance they will be able to compete the increasing competition in the company. They would be given respectable positions on the basis of their testing and personality types. There may be introduction of new processes, practices and the procedures that will help in motivating these managers as well.
- The new management team who are already growing impatient with the lack of enthusiasm for change – They would be asked to follow the Kotter’s 8 step model to the change management. They will be given motivation on regular intervals and asked to counsel and motivate the existing team to perform.
All these groups are essential for the organization and they have to be supportive so that organization is successful for a longer run and able to realize its potential easily. These have been the people who are aware of the clients, associates and the market potential and in case they will be retained then company can develop its systems.Order Now