Unit 20 : HR Management Solution
A) Analyse the recruitment and selection policies and procedures in your organisation and discuss how job description and person specification can be matched for a specific job in the chosen organisation
The Inter Continental Hotels group gives much importance to diversity and tries to implement inclusion across all aspects of its business located across various locations globally. The hotel practises the recruitment process and promotes the individuals in the organisation solely on the basis of their suitability. The hotel discourages any form of discrimination which may arise from various grounds such as gender, colour, sexual orientation, disability, race, ethnic, religion, or marital status. The company also modifies its principles based on certain national or local legal requirements in some countries. The company provides opportunities for employee development and provides proper and ample training programmes which include management and leadership training to its employees. The company also provides succession planning for identified high-potential contenders in the company and provides development programmes specifically designed for women. The company has been acknowledged by the UK Government for its “Positive about Disabled People” initiative. The company also has a Disability Advisory Committee which takes care of recruiting proper candidates with any sort of physical disability. Because of its affinity and ability for recruiting people with disabilities, the hotel group won Springboard Award for Excellence award in the ‘Diversity in Employment’ category in 2008 (InterContinental Hotels Group, 2014).
We will discuss job descriptions and personal specifications for hotel receptionist job at Inter Continental Hotels. The company publishes employment advertisement for the position in various print and online mediums. The candidates are then screened based on the matching criteria with the below mentioned requirements:
Job Title: Hotel receptionist
Work and Responsibility: Full time permanent front office administrative work. The hotel receptionist will report to the Administrative Head of the particular hotel facility in London.
Location and Purpose: Hotel receptionist will handle the administrative works and front office reception related formalities of the hotel. The person will work with the administration and human resource department to in order to make the customer reception work go smoothly. The location is at the hotel facility located in Hamilton Place, Park Lane, London.
Person specification: The person be proficient in managing communications and have a pleasant personality. He or she must possess great amount of professional ethics. The person must have the qualities to meet the customer demand, and the efficiency to meet their complaints with priority. The candidate should be passionate towards managing people and should enjoy while interacting with people. The hotel reception should be open to interact with people from various social and physical backgrounds. As the hotel will have a large number of Asian and Latin American visitors, the candidate should have a fair idea about the cultural background of the people coming from different geographical locations (Dowling et al, 1994,; Goldstein, 1993).
B) Compare and evaluate the different selection process in your chosen organisation with another tourism or hospitality organisation
The InterContinental Hotels group mainly follows external recruitment method to attract candidates. The company prefers to advertise its positions on certain online sites which are intended to get a diverse mix of candidates. The selection process mainly follows the following flow:
- Initial screening – the company can discard the misfit profiles through bio data filtering or primary interviews
- Application – the screened employees will be asked to fill in the required application form in order to give overall idea about their personality and other personal things.
- Employment test – for the job of hotel receptionist, the test should have psychological tests: which would include intelligence test, personality test, ability test, and aptitude test.
- Interview- after the candidate clears all the tests; it is the time for one to one interview. The panel of line manager and administrative practice head should take the interview of the hotel receptionist. The process will be helpful in knowing the original and first-hand experience side of the candidate.
However, the company also follows various internal methods to fill up positions available within the organisation:
- Promotions or transfer- with promotion, the individual is offered employment level movement from a comparatively lower level to higher one. The transfer method involves moving internal employees in lateral movement from one grade to another, but in a different department or location.
- Job posting: by this method, the hotel can publicise its job openings (which are hotel receptionist and cleaning staff in this case) on the company’s electronic or physical bulletin board.
- Referrals: the company can escalate emails to its employee asking for referrals from them.
On the other hand, Hilton Worldwide focuses more on retaining its employees. The company has 100,000 employees across the globe, which are often referred as team members and the hotel ensures that the selection process is designed more towards identifying the long term based candidate who can be maintained with the organisation. The company practises similar method of internal and external recruitment. All the steps described in the case of Inter Continental are same for Hilton Worldwide (InterContinental Hotels Group, 2014; Becker & Gerhart, 1996). Order Now