Overview and rationale
Communicating the research proposal clearly is the first step towards the successful completion of any research. The exercise of writing a research proposal serves as an avenue for the application of principles gleaned from the lectures; and formalizes ideas, connections and directions that may eventually find full expression in the dissertations.
- Task, Components and Outcomes
- Components: the research proposal is to be presented in the following sequence of headings:
- Research problem
- Research objectives/questions
- Proposed conceptual framework
- Proposed research design
- Process: the tasks involved in coming up with the research proposal is best attempted in the sequence specified so as to achieve the listed outcomes:
|Task Sequence||Individual Written Proposal Components||Process outcomes|
|1||Bibliography/references||10 journal articles and 2 books|
|2||Proposed research design||· Qualitative technique|
· Quantitative tool
|3||Proposed conceptual framework||· Guidelines/Best Practices|
· Parent Theory
|5||Research problem||· Keywords/concepts|
· Kind of research
- Expectations and grading criteria
Individual written proposal (marked upon 100% and scaled to 30%)
|Process outcomes||Evaluative criteria||Marks|
|Minimum of 15 entries||Relevance for field|
|a.Qualitative techniques||Relevance & feasibility|
|b.Quantitative tools||Relevance & feasibility|
|c.Should be a detailed account of sampling respondents and data collection instrument||Relevance & feasibility|
|a.Best practices||Recognition by industry/literature|
|4.Research objectives and questions||Scenarios and Issues||20%|
|a. Hypothesis||Mutually-exclusive formulations|
|b. Propositions||Mutually-exclusive formulations|
|5. Research Problems||Boundaries||10%|
|a.Kind of research||· Distinct character|
|b.Keywords||· As informed by theory|
|c. Title||· Clarity|
Note: For proposal components: 2 and 3, students are to choose either one of the categories in the process outcomes to fulfill.
- D. Formatting requirements and deadline
- Font size: Arial or Times New Roman (12pt), single-spaced and fully-justified.
- Length: the body of the text shall be 2000 words in length, not counting the length references section.
- Referencing: in-text citations must mirror the entries found in the reference and bibliography sections of the report. The referencing system used must conform to the APA style.
- Organization and submission: the individual written proposal (report) should be based on the template given in this Appendix. It must be type-written and submitted in hardcopy during the 13th LECTURE by the end of the lecture duration (in the class where the lecture is held). All other avenues and modes of submission are considered null and void if no previous written permission were granted. Submission via lecturer’s email address is not valid. Late submission penalties apply as per the University’s policy.