Personal Development Employments
This assignment is based on personal development in the workplace. The assignment holds a learning style, self SWOT analysis, learning barriers and their solutions. The second section includes some learning options, support mechanisms. It also contains a personal development plan and some methods to monitor self-development. Two diagrams are also included in this assignment. A brief conclusion and recommendation are also added to this report.
Personal development is very necessary for the section of employment. Without developing a person from the inside, no tasks could be performed by that person. Employees need to develop their skills and attributes from time to time. This will help the company to compete actively in the marketplace. This assignment is based on personal development programs of the employees. All the details are discussed in this assignment.
Section 1: Know how to identify development needs:
- 1.1: Identify own learning style:
- Several learning styles help a person to develop his skills and abilities. Not every learning is suitable for everybody. People choose the learning styles according to their developing requirements. VAK learning style and Kolb’s learning model are two important models. I have taken the VAK learning style to discuss in this assignment. The discussion is given below:
- Visual learning style: Visual is one of the popular and effective learning styles. Visual learning helps to see the whole thing with own eyes and learn from it. It helps to solve the queries of the learner in a visible way. With the help of this learning style, the learner can achieve a certain amount of knowledge. Visual learning style uses charts, maps, figures, visual illustrations to teach the employees(S and T, 2012).
- Verbal learning style: This is another important and effective learning style. This style helps a person to learn something with the help of oral and written statements. The learner understands things by either speaking or writing about it. Speaking out loud about the academic subject helps the learner to understand it properly and memorize it.
- Acoustic style: Those who prefer to learn something through listening, prefers this learning style.
- Kinesthetic learning style: This learning style enables a person to learn something through physical touch(Rosyidah, Firman and Rusyati, 2017).
- Among these two styles, I chose the visual learning style for my individual development. Visions and pictures help a lot in understanding anything properly. Therefore, visual learning style is appropriate for my development plan.
1.2: Identify own development needs:
- A SWOT analysis would help me to identify my own development needs. The SWOT analysis is given below:
- SWOT analysis:
- Strengths: My strengths are:
- My thoughts are very inventive and resourceful.
- I allow my brain to think freely and openly when it comes to working. It helps me to see through different and innovative plans and execute them efficiently.
- I trust in excellence rather than capacity. Therefore I deliver qualitative work quite all the time(Ryan and Deci, 2011).
- Another great strength that I have is my qualifications and my body of work. It helps me to face any obstacles.
- Weaknesses: My weaknesses are:
- I tend to work efficiently. It sometimes causes me lots of troubles. To make something perfect sometimes, I stuck to that work, and it takes a lot of time to finish it.
- Over-obligation is another problem that I face quite often. It sometimes leads me to the wrong course and wastes my time.
- Opportunities: My potential opportunities are:
- My qualifications and body of work is my main opportunity. It helps me to decide what is best for my company and me(Vaněk, Mikoláš and Žváková, 2012).
- Resource and inventive work is another opportunity that I can consider. If I can merge my original work and my weakness of over-obligation, then it would benefit me I so many ways.
- Threats: The possible threats that I face are:
- The rivalry is possibly a threat that I could find in my working field. I need to sharpen my skills and attributes to overcome this potential threat.
- The above SWOT analysis shows that I need to sharpen my strengths of inventiveness and depend upon my qualifications. At the same time, I should work on my over-perfectionist issue and resolve the possible threats. By overcoming the weaknesses, I could be able to utilize my potential opportunities(Anthony, 2016).
1.3: Identify potential barriers to learning:
- Some potential barriers can come in the way of learning. These potential learning barriers are:
- Monetary barriers: Although education and learning are everyone’s right, money is very important in the course of learning. The people who cannot pay for learning courses find it quite difficult to learn and educate properly. Monetary issues create obstacles in the path of learning and education(Hansen, 2011).
- Health issues: Health problems are another thing that prevents a person from further learning.
- Social barriers: Social barriers are also considered as a learning barrier. Favoritism and partiality create obstacles in the path of education.
- Communication problems: This is another problem that learner faces in the workplace. The employees who came from another region find it very difficult to learn something in the completely different language(Ciroma, 2014).
1.4: How barriers to learning can be overcome:
Certain steps help a learner to overcome the learning barriers. These steps are:
- The learner should decide his/her projected goal before entering that particular learning course.
- The learner should communicate with other employees and the teacher. It would make him/her more comfortable and attentive.
- The learner should discuss his/her queries with his/her fellow participants. This way his/her verbal communication would become strong.
Identify development needs
Section 2: Know how to develop yourself to achieve organizational objectives:
2.1: Briefly analyze learning options:
- Some learning/development options are briefly analyzed below:
- Online learning is a great option for the learner to learn certain things. Online programs help a person in learning different things at one time.
- Practical learning is also an option that should be considered by the learner. It requires the learner to attain classes about that specific learning subject.
- Mock tests and exams are another learning option that helps the learner to revise his/her learned lessons. Tests and exams help a person to develop his/her weaknesses and augment the strengths.
- Working feedback from the organization also helps an employee to identify his/her development needs. Positive feedback motivates an employee, and negative feedback helps him/her to overcome those faults(Al-Aradi and Jaimungal, 2014).
2.2: Identify support mechanisms for development:
- Employees need some support mechanisms to overcome their barriers and develop their skills and abilities. Support mechanisms are those people/functions that help a person to fight his/her problems that create trouble in their path of success. Some support mechanisms are:
- Loan and mortgage system: Loans helps a person to continue his/her learning and education. Many companies provide learning course loans with minimum interest. It helps an employee to afford his/her required course fees(Oh and Phillips, 2011).
- Company health insurance policies help to overcome health issues faced by an employee. With the help of these insurance policies, employees can take care of their health and work hard, which would ultimately develop their attributes and abilities.
- An impartial office environment is very necessary. The organization should create a neutral atmosphere in the office premises. It would help the employees to overcome their social barriers. Organizational support against favoritism facilitates the workers and motivates them.
- Apart from the above support mechanisms, organizations should consider a common language in the office premises. For example, their job descriptions should highlight English as the basic language. This would solve the language problems that the employees face in the workplace. It would help them to learn the official work easily(Diana and Bennett, 2015).\
Personal Development Employments
2.3: Prepare a development plan to achieve a learning objective:
1. Improve communication skill
2. Work as a team
1. Communicate efficiently
2. Learn to work in a team
2. Team working
1. Talk freely with the employees.
Talk freely with the instructor(Ashurst, 2017).
2. Try to participate in group works.
1. Sharpen communication skill
2. Effective teamwork
1. High- because communication is very important to learn anything
|Identify the work:|
1. Notice other employees and boss’s behavior towards me.
2. Notice the behavior of the team members.
|Skills to learn:|
1. Join a communicative course.
Learn to boost self-confidence
2. Join some courses that teach team management.
1. Helps from other employees.
2. Support from the organization.
1. 6-7 months
2. 7-9 months
1. One month earlier from the target date
2. One month later from the target date
1. After learning practical communication skills apply them in the workplace.
2. Work efficiently with the team members.
2.4: Describe a method that could be used to monitor development:
- Some methods could be used to monitor the development process. These methods are:
- Maintain a report card: Self-scoring report card is one of the easiest and effective methods to monitor self-development. It would help me to work on my drawbacks and improve my faults. It would also facilitate me to amplify my abilities and skills.
- Give importance to the feedbacks: This is another useful method that I should consider to monitor my development process. I should make a chart and note the feedbacks from time to time. This way I could scrutinize my development process quite easily(Aşkın and Tatar, 2013).
Self-development is very important to attain success in life. The above work shows the processes, obstacles, and solutions regard to personal development. It also shows that to develop personal skills, a proper development plan is necessary.
- If a person wants to develop himself, he/she should follow some steps:
- Make a chart and highlight his/her strengths and weaknesses.
- Improve personal skills based on the chart.
- Communicate with other employees and discuss everything.
- Learn to work in a group.
- Self-motivation is also very important.
- Al-Aradi, A. and Jaimungal, S. (2014). Technical Uncertainty in Real Options with Learning. SSRN Electronic Journal.
- Anthony, I. (2016). SWOT Self-analysis. Nurse Educator, 41(3), p.138.
- Ashurst, A. (2017). How to … develop a personal learning and development plan. Nursing and Residential Care, 19(4), pp.236-236.
- Aşkın, S. and Tatar, M. (2013). Effect of employment planning with professional education on expectation and personal development. Economy of Region, pp.43-53.
- Ciroma, Z. (2014). Learning Barriers: Challenges and Concerns. Academic Journal of Interdisciplinary Studies.
- Diana, A. and Bennett, N. (2015). Federal Mechanisms to Support Intervention Dissemination. New Directions for Child and Adolescent Development, 2015(149), pp.69-79.
- Hansen, E. (2011). Idea-based learning. Sterling, Va.: Stylus.
- Oh, D. and Phillips, F. (2011). Support Mechanism.
- Rosyidah, T., Firman, H. and Rusyati, L. (2017). Comparing Science Virtual and Paper-Based Test to Measure Students’ Critical Thinking based on VAK Learning Style Model. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 812, p.012028.
- Ryan, R. and Deci, E. (2011). Self-determination theory.
- S, A. and T, M. (2012). ASSESSMENT OF LEARNING STYLE PREFERENCE AMONG UNDERGRADUATE MEDICAL STUDENTS – VAK ASSESSMENT TOOL. International Journal of Medical and Clinical Research, 3(8), pp.229-231.
- Vaněk, M., Mikoláš, M. and Žváková, K. (2012). Evaluation Methods of Swot Analysis / MetodyVyhodnoceníSwotAnalýzy. GeoScience Engineering, 58(2).