Herzbergs Two Factor Theory
Herzbergs Two Factor Theory as part of the formal assessment for the programme you are required to submit an assignment for each module. Please refer to your Student Handbook for full details of the programme assessment scheme and general information on preparing and submitting assignments.
After completing the module you should be able to:
LO1 – Understand the features of successful teams.
LO2 – Be able to support team development.
LO3 – Be able to monitor the performance of teams.
(Using an organisation you are familiar with answer the following. The organisation could be your current employer, former employer or one that you can research/hypothetical company)
As HR manager you are requiredto write a formal report to management to examine three main team development areas to ensure that current and future practices have a positive impact on the organisation. These areas include:
- The features of a successful team in your chosen organisation
- Supporting team performance
- Monitoring team performance
The layout of the report is as follows:
- An executive summary – this will give a summary of the areas and include the main recommendations for management to improve teams within the organisation. (100 words)
- An introduction – This will explain the purpose of the report and provide some information on the importance of building a successful team within the organisation. (Assessment Criterion 1.2) (150 words)
- The main report will comprise of the followingand be applied to the organisation:
- A description of the characteristics of a team currently to explain how they contribute to the overall success of the organisation. This is to be presented in a table format. (Assessment Criterion 1.1) (200 words)
- An assessment of the importance of team roles using Belbin and the manager’s role using Blake and Mouton within the organisati-on.(Assessment Criteria 1.2, 1.3) (500 words)
- Using Adair’s Action Centred Model on leadership and team formation explain each stage in relation to developing teams. Express this using a flow chart format. (Assessment Criterion 2.1) (500 words)
- Planand apply Herzberg’s and Maslow’s motivation theoriesto the organisation. Explain howopen communication is encouraged within the team and evaluate ways to deal with any possible conflict between team members. (Assessment Criteria 2.2, 2.3, 2.4) (1000 words)
- Provide a plan and recommendations as to how the team’s performance will be monitored and improved over the next six months; this can be in a table format. (Assessment Criteria 3.1, 3.2) (500 words)
- Conclusion – this will summarise the above report and highlight the main points of interest. (50 words)
- References – to be to Harvard Standards
- Appendix – to include any supporting information.
Formative Feedback Opportunity
Students will be given the opportunity to receive formative feedback during the ‘assignment workshop’ sessions for this module.
- You should write this assignment in a formal report format and include:
- An executive
- An introduction
- The Conclusion
- You must ensure that the submitted assignment is all your own work and that all sources used are correctly attributed. Penalties apply to assignments which show evidence of academic unfair practice. (See the Student Handbook which is in the Induction Area).
Herzbergs Two Factor Theory
- You MUST underpin your analysis and evaluation of the key issues with appropriate and wide ranging academic research and ensure this is referenced using the Bournemouth University (BU) Harvard system. The ‘My Study Skills’ area contains the following useful resources; Study Skills Guide (containing a BU Harvard Referencing section) and a BU Harvard Referencing Interactive Tutorial. You must use the BU Harvard Referencing method in your assignment.
- You should use diagrams and tables of figures where appropriate ensuring to reference their source using the BU Harvard Referencing method.
- You are required to write your assignment within 3000words in order for your research and summarising skills to be developed, and for effective time management. You are required to ensure that the assignment addresses all of the assessment tasks. In the interests of good academic practice, an assignment submitted with excessive word counts (i.e. more than 10% in excess of the limit) will be returned to you. You will be given a maximum of 48 hours to edit the work to reduce the word count to the permitted maximum. In the event that the submission is still regarded as excessively long then, in line with advice received from Pearson, we will be unable to accept it for marking and you will receive a Refer grade for Non-Submission.
The word count excludes the title page, reference list and appendices. Where assessment questions have been reprinted from the assessment brief these will also be excluded from the word count. ALL other printed words ARE included in the word count. Printed words include those contained within charts and tables.
- Your assignment should be submitted as a single document. For more information please see the “Guide to Submitting an Assignment” document available on the module page.
Recommended Additional Resources
EBSCO Business Source Complete
Armstrong, M. (2010) Essential Human Resource Development Practice: A Guide to People Management London, Kogan Page
Armstrong, M. (2012) Handbook of Human Resource Development Practice, Twelfth Edition London, Kogan Page
Mahapatro, B.B. (2010) Human Resource Management New Delhi, New Age International Limited
Torrington, D. Hall, L. Taylor, S. Atkinson, C. (2014) Human Resource Management Ninth Edition Harlow, Pearson
Journals and newspapers
The Financial Times and other daily newspapers which contain a business section and marketreports
Harvard Business Review
Journal of Marketing
Journal of Marketing Management
Journal of Services Marketing
|Assessment Criteria to Pass|
To achieve a pass you must meet all of the assessment criteria as stated below. Failure to cover all of the assessment criteria will result in a referral grade and you will be required to re-submit your assignment.
Further guidance on completion of your assignment can be found in the guidance notes which are posted on the group learning space by your module tutor. For additional support please post questions onto the group learning space, or email Kenneth.Chang@sunderland.edu.hk
|Learning Outcomes and Assessment Criteria met||Criteria Met|
For tutor use
(you may wish to use this in your preparation for your assignment submission)
|LO1 Understand the features of successful teams.|
1.1 Describe the characteristics of successful business teams
1.2 Assess the importance of team roles in successful business teams
1.3 Analyse the values of using theoretical models when building successful business teams
|LO2 Be able to support team development.|
2.1 Explain the stages of team development
2.2 Plan how to motivate team members to achieve given objectives
2.3 Encourage open communication between team members to support team development
2.4 Evaluate ways of resolving conflict between team members
|LO3 Be able to monitor the performance of teams.|
3.1 Monitor the performance of a team against given objectives
3.2 Recommend how to improve performance against given objectives.