HA2032 Corporate and Financial Accounting
- This assignment needs to be submitted using safe-assign. No hardcopy or email attachment will be accepted.
- It is the responsibility of the student who is submitting the work, to ensure that the work is in fact her/his own work. Plagiarism will be heavily penalised
- Maximum marks available: 20 marks
- Assignment should be of 2,000 words. Please use “word count” and include in report.
- Due date of submission: Week 10, Friday at 11.59 p.m.
Format of the Report
- Your submitted assignment at least should have the following details:
- Assignment Cover page clearly stating your name and student number
- A table of contents, executive summary
- A brief introduction or overview of what you have discussed in this assignment
- Body of the report where you write your answers with appropriate section headings.
- Do your own research and critically discuss whether the financial accounting and reporting should be regulated or manager should be allowed to disclose financial accounting information voluntarily.
ACCOUNTING STANDARD SETTING
- Do your own research and critically explain how the Australian Accounting Standards Board take part in the global accounting standard setting process (i.e. in setting IFRS). Why is the IFRS set by the International Accounting Standards Board (IASB) not compulsory for the member countries of IASB?
Select 4 public limited companies listed on the Australian Securities Exchange (ASX) that are in the same industry. Go to the website of your selected companies. Then go to the Investor Relations section of the website. This section may be called, “Investors”, “Shareholder Information” or similar name.
In this section, go to your firms’ annual reports and save to your computer your firms’ latest annual reports consecutively for last four years. Do not use your firms’ interim financial statements or their concise financial statements. Please read the financial statements (balance sheet, income statement, statement of changes in owner’s equity, cash flow statement) very carefully. Also please read the relevant footnotes of your firms’ financial statements carefully and include information from these footnotes in your answer.
You need to do the following tasks:
- From your firms’ financial statements, list each item of equity and write your understanding of each item. Discuss any changes in each item of equity for your firms over the past four years articulating the reasons for the change.
- Provide a comparative analysis of the debt and equity position of the four firms that you have selected.
Please prepare the above answers in your own words.
Best of Luck